Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2015

The New, Improved Official Cover Song of the Twenty-Teens


If you haven't been following along, about a year ago I made Wichita Lineman the Official Cover Song of the Twenty-Teens. I wield that kind of power.

With great power comes great responsibility, of course. I take my role as the ultimate tastemaker on the Intertunnel seriously. I could have foisted any number of lousy pop songs on an unsuspecting public as the OFFICIAL SONG OF THE INTERTUNNELS!!!11!!!!!!11, and everyone would have nodded and said, "Sippican wouldn't lie, so Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) by Edison Lighthouse must be the greatest song ever written!" Hell, I know my power. I could even have palmed off Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke as the greatest song ever, even though it's the most dreary, tuneless, and solipsistic song since Andy Williams hung up his figure skates and retired to Branson.

But I didn't. I do have a cruel streak, but I have to draw the line somewhere. I am mercurial. Changeable. That doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I've decided that Sunny by Bobby Hebb is going to be the Official Cover Song of the Twenty-Teens, and that's that.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Its a good song, but I think you have been in the deep, dark north too long..it is sunny here. We are actually breaking high temp records. No easy thing in Arizona. I would trade you a bit of sun for some of your Maine gloom.

Sam L. said...

Well, I NEVER! And won't!

Gagdad Bob said...

A bit of trivia I picked up the other day: after he hit the top spot with Sunny, the producer offered Hebb the song Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie, but he declined it, as he wanted to perform only his own compositions. Therefore, it was given to Jay & the Techniques, who followed it with Keep the Ball Rollin' and a few other minor hits. Meanwhile, Bobby Hebb couldn't keep the ball rollin', and fell into obscurity.

vanderleun said...

Your name Sippican and mine inside a heart upon a wall
Still finds a way to haunt me though they're so small

vanderleun said...

href="http://neoneocon.com/2015/04/03/the-band-that-just-walked-away-renee-part-ii-the-lyrics/