Wednesday, November 12, 2014

If You Make Things You Are My Brother: Curtis Buchanan Makes A Windsor Chair

I have no idea why every video of anyone making things on the Intertunnel  is accompanied by bluegrassy contradance sorta music. In my experience, it's Death Metal or the F*cking Eagles, man.

Curtis Buchanan Chairmakers


Leon said...

if you enjoyed that watch his whole series. and no i don't think the music is included.

it's been some time since i watched it but my recollection is he is a man way more knowledgeable about wood than me and yet willing to admit his ignorance about things.

i would have recommended it to you for this space but it is a rather long series and you have better things to do than spend your days on you tube. (unlike me...oh wait i do too. i just don't sometime do them.)

on an unrelated note it's good to see you posting things again more regularly. i hope all is well with you and yours. you have been in my prayers on more than one occasion in the last few months.

Johnny Glendale said...

Man it looks like there's a mess of ways a fella could go wrong there (I could go wrong there a couple of messess of ways). What Leon said at the end, there, too. Good to have you back.

Cas said...

Hey, I happen to LIKE Bluegrass music!

RonF said...

O.K., now; I understand that all those fancy curves would require hand tools. But why is he using a hand auger and bit for all the holes? Why not a handy 18V DeWalt with a keyless chuck? Sure would be a lot faster and easier and it's not clear to me how the quality or artistry of the work suffers. But then I don't do this kind of thing for a living so I would appreciate some light shed on the matter by someone who does.