Thursday, July 31, 2014

Looking For Points Of Light In The Darkness

When I went to the WYSIWYG editor for this blog a minute ago, the counter read 999,999. Who knows, you might be somebody.

I don't write my other blog anymore. The Borderline Sociopathic Blog for Boys is entirely the work of my older son now. I don't think anyone noticed when I handed it over to him. He's the large one playing the guitar in yesterday's video, if you're new around here. More people are reading the BSBFB than this blog today, and every day. That does the opposite of bothering me.

One of my readers, a gentle and generous soul, asked if my Heir could use his editing acumen to make something of the raw material of his daughter's recital. My sons have both become semi-skilled at all sorts of things, and video editing is one of them. They both keep blogs now. No, you can't see the little one's blog, so don't ask.

My Heir did a good job, I think, but you tell me. I must tell you something else about that video: It refreshed my view of my fellow human beings. I am mostly isolated from regular society now. My sample size for interactions with actual humans is vanishingly small. I mostly see the bad end of the dookie stick, and it's skewing my opinion of my fellow man, and not in a good way.

Every once in a while, people like those three lovely girls and their parents remind me that the world is not entirely an increasingly scorched handbasket -- just mostly. There are still some people who are raising their children to be productive and pleasant citizens and neighbors, with respect for tradition coupled to a hope for a better future. Don't believe me? Just watch the video.


Leon said...

am i somebody?
i noticed when the attributed author changed. the writing style seems the same for the text.

the nice people just don't make the news as much. it's shocking to me the number of houses in this city that get left open on a regular basis to no ill effect...nice people leaving other nice people alone in a city of 7 million. the texas castle doctrine probably don't hurt either.

Sam L. said...

Lovely piece of work, that!

Sam L. said...

I haven't been there for a while--I see he's channeling your style quite well. Maybe even exaggerating it, to good effect.

julie said...

Yes, I noticed the change, too. I just figured you decided you needed a different nickname over there for some reason; that's a compliment to both of youse. I should know better after seeing him play and sing, but I never would have suspected a young'un these days would be able to write half so well, nor so humorously. Much less with actual wisdom, which is there in spades as well.

chasmatic said...

I always thought my humble blog was of the crayons-and-wrapping-paper quality. Now I know, it is. No surprise that your sons have talent. Consider the tree from which they haven't fallen far.

Larry Geiger said...

I could sit and listen to those girls sing all day long.