Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Wood. Working


I worked in an old-fashioned factory when I was younger. Timeclock. Bricks. Union. Job descriptions with labor grades that decided your hourly wage. I was eventually a labor grade eleven. There was only one labor grade higher than that: Toolmaker. That used to be a common pecking order. A person that can make things with tools is valuable. A person that can make tools is invaluable.

The tool handle he's making at the end is for something usually called a "slick," a big chisel common in post-and-beam construction.

4 comments:

Johnny Glendale said...

Fun, impressive video. Mighty big chisel, though. Maybe he's compensating for something...

Thud said...

Should hopefuly get to use one of those chisels on some green oak beams going in new house later this year.

T.K. Tortch said...

That was great.

I've got my Grandfather's old woodworking tools; after he died I was the only one who wanted them.

He had a late 19th or early 20th C. wood lathe and same-era planer that he told me he bought from a shop that closed down right before World War II started. They had been run off a steam-powered belt system, so when he installed them in his shop he devised an electric-motor belt system to run them. It was pretty neat; he said it took a bit of trial and error to get everything set so he could control speed effectively.

I would have loved to have them but at the time I had no means to take them and nowhere to put them, so my Great Uncle found somebody to buy them.

Sixty Grit said...

Beautiful lathe he built there. Awesome slick, too.

Yeah, I built my own lathe, too, but it won't be in any videos anytime soon. I will need a caffeine drip in order to hammer like that guy does, but once I up my cadence I know I will be a video star.