Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

If You Make Things, You Are My Brother. Except This Guy. He Was Apparently Adopted By A Super-Race Of Polymath Alien Artists


My goodness, isn't John Mayer a douchenozzle? A raging douchecanoe. A big, steaming bag o' douche. I need a new monitor, because I punched mine thirty or forty times trying to get him to shut up. My son had a several-month-long interest in his music, which was the longest ten centuries of my life, but it went into remission, and my boy listens to proper records now, and I wander the house contented once more.

But credit where credit is due: the douchebag had the sense to hire David A. Smith. He can't be all bad. I've featured lots of people making lots of things on this blog, but I can't recall another person that seemed to be playing not just in another league, but playing alone in a league of his own making. I have met a fair number of sign painters over the years, back when I worked at building and renovating restaurants and so forth. Many struck me as quite talented. Many struck me, period, after a few pints. But they were all primordial ooze compared to this guy.

My little son and I watched this video on our TV, using a Roku box, instead of watching reruns of How It's Made for the umpteenth time. By gad, the future is a wonderful place. I know, I'm living in it.

(Thanks to old friend Rob C. for sending that one along)

14 comments:

vanderleun said...

Just... just.... beyond the capacity of the modern mind to boggle.

Casey Klahn said...

A work of beauty is timeless. My hats off to Smith!

Art said...

Somehow, I read John Mayall, whom a friend once met, and was taken by how much of a really nice guy he was.

I'm wondering what has Sippi got against good old JM. Then while watching the video I'm wondering why does Mayall look so young.

Guess it's time to get new glasses.

H. Gillham said...

Interesting.

My grandmother collected postcards from the late 1880s and 1890s that had a similar feel to what this guy does with his sign making. Amazing.

I must confess that I didn't make it through the whole video.... but it won't keep me from commenting.

I had never heard of John Mayer [my radio was silent in the 1990s through the early 2000s] --- but my niece loved him. She made me a CD, and I can't remember which album it was -- but he just seems whiny to me.

Not moody.
Not brooding.

Just whiny.

and I don't do whiny in my music.

BTW: Almost every time I read your blog, I laugh. This was one of those times -- especially after I watched John Mayer pontificating on this video. Perhaps, he's relating to Oscar? Just a different brand of wiener? Or as we say in the South -- WEENER.

:-)



Anonymous said...

I believe eventually every musician has to come to terms with John Mayer. In my case, it required admitting that he is a better guitar player, singer, and songwriter than I'll ever be or anyone I've ever known.
Impossible for me to deny that past or present musical greatness.
The douchyness I believe is the foundation of the curriculum at Juilliard.
Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Love-Hewitt was just icing on the cake.
I'll listen to Room for Squares and Heavier Things and, like with pretty much all celebrities, ignore their private speech and opinions with extreme prejudice.
D

Thud said...

That guy is looking good for his age as he must be clocking on at about 150 to get that good at so much.

Mal said...

For the interested, there are two more David A. Smith videos up at Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/14985356
http://vimeo.com/25587369

There is still some good in the world!

Cletus Socrates said...

OTOH,
You could link to some Kottke, which I suspect your readers would enjoy immensely

Derek Alexander said...

Wow - just wow. Sippican this is right up your alley. Take your time - do it right - but do it for yourself. If other folks like that's ok too.

OMMAG said...

Try this from Vimeo .... No Mayerism.

http://vimeo.com/14985356

Cheers!

OMMAG

Anonymous said...

Mayer is a colossal douche. Makes me want to do bad things to it.

John The River said...

"Support This Site. Use This Box To Buy Anything At Amazon And I Get A Commission At No Cost To You"

It don't work, no hyperlink when I moused over or clicked.
Went directly to Amazon, if that helps.

SippicanCottage said...

Hi everybody- Fun comments.

John- If you enter Amazon through any Amazon link on this page, including the search box, or my book link, Amazon will count any purchase you make during that session as coming from Sippican Cottage, and I'll get a small commission. You don't have to buy the particular item that the link serves, either, just enter through this page. I very much appreciate your attempt to help me out by doing so.

Matthew said...

Has anyone pointed out the similarity to the Small Faces' 1968 album : Ogdens Nut Gone Flake?
<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/25071.jpg/>Ogdens</a>