Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Paestum? Damn Near Killed 'Em

Paestum is a ruin near Naples, Italy. It dates to the seventh century BC. It was founded as a Greek colony, originally named Poseidonia. It coasted pretty good for 1400 years or so, until it was abandoned. They started digging it up in the 1800s. It got a good going over from invaders from Hannibal to Hitler, but there are lots of stuff still standing.

The Università degli Studi di Salerno has made a neato computer reconstruction of Paestum, and joined it at the hip with a kind of perfection in music --Ancient Airs and Dances by Respighi. Of course, it only has 48 views on YouTube, because Justin Bieber isn't in it. But it's pretty good anyway.


BlogDog said...

Luckily for me, I was drinking Postum as I watched this.

Sixty Grit said...

Nice place - now I know how I want to redo my house, driveway and sheds.

Leslie said...

The distance mountains and big sky looks very much like the backdrop at my home. We have lots of tile roofs also, but, not so much marble and columns. It looks like it was a beautiful place to live.

Casey Klahn said...

Still had the Naplese black market, I'll wager. Tough neighborhood.