Friday, September 07, 2012

Canvas Stretched Over A Wooden Frame

Dull people are more interesting than interesting people, generally.

These fellers aren't putting on a phlegmatic act, as far as I can tell. They might be mugging for the camera for all we know; catch them on a regular day and they'd be cigar store Indians.

Businesses, even businesses that are interesting to people who aren't customers like these boatbuilders, need sober and industrious people to take risks and stick to business. I grow weary of lamebrain pitchmen. Make something people want, and make money at it, and don't fold your tent in the night five minutes after your first profit. Then you're a businessman. 

Breeze buckets!


Joan of Argghh! said...

Breeze Buckets indeed. Splendid!

Michael K said...

About 30 years ago, I was visiting Maine, I think Bath, and there was a wooden boatyard there that had apprenticeships. They also had a summer program for kids under 18, the minimum for apprentices. I tried to interest my 16 years old son but couldn't get him to do it. Had I been his age, I would have loved it. He's a lawyer now so it would have done him good.

Leatherneck said...

There is a small, but persistent community of lovers of all old wooden boats. I'm in it. We just had a boat show in Reedville, Virginia which featured almost 50 old-to-antique wooden boats, from skipjacks to runabouts. I think the wooden boat community will persist for time immemorial, perhaps becoming a cult. But the skills and art of wooden boat design are alive and healthy, if endangered.