Saturday, June 23, 2012

What If Lynyrd Skynyrd And Parliament Had A Love Child? M.F.


Regular reader and commenter and loverly person Harriett Gillham put this in the comments after Summertime Music:
Wing window wake? Nice alliteration. Perfect imagery. and Sly and the Family Stone? make me smile, every time. Do you know of Mother's Finest? The band? They could be local down here in the South. You just know so much about music that I thought I would ask. I loved them.
Well, what's not to love? Mother's Finest!



Well, I used to be a DJ on a college radio station back in the day, even though I didn't attend the college, (what's the statute of limitations on these things, anyway?) and I remember Another Mother Further, vaguely. I liked  their cover of Mickey's Monkey. I'm fairly certain the broadcast strength of that station required the listener to be close enough to the transmitter to hit it with a snowball to pick up its emanations, and I'm almost sure you had to open the window, too, so I doubt Mother's Finest owes me a thank you note and a small remuneration for introducing Framingham, Mass. to their awesomeness.

It's crappy to say kids these days, and all that other nursing home remembrance, but the radio sure could use a dose of plain fun right now. People like Lady Gaga all take themselves seriously. That's pop entertainment death as far as I'm concerned. It's supposed to be trivial, and so, fun. If I want serious, everyone's going to be wearing a tux or an evening dress and sawing away at something hollow and wooden, thanks.

And it wouldn't kill you to go read about Harriet's desk, would it? 

5 comments:

T.K. Tortch said...

When I was a kid my older brother turned up with a MF's greatest hits comp - I probably wore a hole through it playing "Mickey's Monkey".

People like Lady Gaga all take therselves seriously. That's pop entertainment death as far as I'm concerned.

No kidding. It's all crossed-up and wrong-footed with tendentious bullhockey.

Look at the MF bass player, with his mile-long legs covered in big hokey stars. Man is not taking himself too seriously to have fun.

Alack.

H. Gillham said...

Oh my.

You are so right -- "...Lynyrd Skynrd and Pariliament had a love child."

Crack me up it's so on.

*turns red*

I'm flattered that you wrote what you did and linked my blog. I feel so double A to your major league.

Thanks.

and..."and I'm almost sure you had to open the window, too, so I doubt Mother's Finest owes me a thank you note and a small remuneration for introducing Framingham, Mass. to their awesomeness.."

oh, and you totally had to open the windows and it had nothing to do with sound...

and with your link, I saw that they had been inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame.

Too cool for Hollywood, perhaps?

:-)

Cletus Socrates said...

late 70's - Mother's Finest, Dixie Dregs, and Atlanta Rythym Section on the same bill at West Georgia College several years in a row....Awesomeness!

SippicanCottage said...

Why would you settle for the Atlanta Rhythm Section when you could have seen the Classics IV?

Cletus Socrates said...

coz i was a mere lad then...Carrollton High (GA) '76 -
they had already morphed into ARS

remember the IV's from the AM radio tho