Pages

Monday, March 05, 2012

My Cant Hook Can't Cant Hook Like That



Not sure exactly where in Maine these fellers are. The other videos appended to this one mention Litchfield, which is south and east of here.

Maine is really big, and has very few people living in it. The state of Maine is as big in area as all the other New England states combined, and there are only 1.3 million people here. The largest city in Maine is Portland, and it's one-tenth the size of Boston, which is a small city anyway.

People from Maine refer to people not from Maine as from away. You're a flatlander, or maybe a Massh*le.  I have been living in Maine for two years now. I like it here. People are friendly and wary at the same time, if that's possible. You're OK with them until you prove otherwise. Many people from away prove otherwise immediately, and continuously, after moving here to escape the purgatory they helped make somewhere else. Me, I've found lots of people here I have nothing in common with that I get along famously with. You'll be left alone here if you really want it. I can't help but notice there's a lot of empty houses around here, filled with the imaginary people that claim to want to be left alone.

There's a fetish for milquetoasts to prepare themselves for doomsday nowadays. It's for amusement, for the most part, like most such things. Don't they wonder how foolish they look to people who've known every day of their lives that doomsday is every day if you don't work?

8 comments:

Expat(ish) said...

Man, I keep wanting to scream: ears and eyes, ears and eyes!

Love the anti-gubbmit tone. Go Maine.

-XC

SippicanCottage said...

One must be careful to consider that the camera affects things. The sawyer is being interviewed while he works, which would make wearing earmuffs untenable. His assistant is wearing them, and in another video the sawyer is wearing his, too.

You'll also notice if you look closely that the sawyer has rigged a kind of blast shield, what looks like a piece of carpet hanging from the rafters. Not OSHA, but then again, it works.

Sixty Grit said...

Sounds like some world class whining. The air quotes around "graded" and "stamped" are so metrosexual as to make me puke. Welcome to the real world, whiner. Building codes exist for a reason, and playing the "victim" card is just weak and puny. Even a cursory reading of the sawing and drying forum would show one how to meet the requirements to keep your business running, that is if that is your real goal.

Sixty Grit said...

My great-grandfather fought in the Civil War, as I wrote here recently. He also ran a saw mill after the war. Sawed his arm off by accident, but survived that too, and lived to be an old man.

My uncle sold the family sawmill just before I went to work in his millwork shop back in the 60s on the Delta in Mississippi, so I didn't get any hands on experience with a circular saw. Hands are still on.

I have sawed thousands of board feet with a band mill, and rigged up a carriage to saw smaller pieces (up to 12" in thickness) on my resaw bandsaw.

From the sound of the engine in that video the teeth are dull on that blade - the motor is lugging down way too much for the amount of wood being sawed.

At the NC State Fair I watch the circular sawmill demonstration every year. It saws a bit better than the one in the video - no lugging.

John Lien said...

@Sixty Grit. Would you believe me if I told you I thought the same thing? It seemed to be working a bit hard for that sized log. Maybe it was maple. My sawmill is in pieces tucked away in the rafters in the workshop. Someday I'll get it together again but it is pretty low on the to-do list.

Sixty Grit said...

Those are green logs - even maple should saw more readily than that.

Maybe they will use maple for flooring in their new manse, but for framing, that would be unusual.

I think a bit of sharpening would improve the situation a great deal.

Titus said...

I love going to Maine. I summer in Ogunquit but live in Boston. Love your website.

SippicanCottage said...

Hi Titus- Thanks for reading and commenting.

For those who are "from away," Ogunquit is a pretty seaside town not too far north of Massachusetts. It's quite vibrant in the summer.