Thursday, March 01, 2012

Lost Horizon

One can't help but be affected more by personal experience than information gained at a distance. I've only been to San Francisco once, for one day, about twenty-five years ago, and it was one of the darkest, coldest, dirtiest, unfriendliest places I've ever been in. A toll booth operator can ruin a whole state for me, so maybe I'm more stiff-necked about such matters than most people. But if I see the words: San Francisco in print, my mind fills autofills a: bah! right after it. Still, my mind triumphs over my heart now and again and you get interested in things for their own sake. San Francisco is durn interesting, and has been for a long time. It matters. But all in all, I'd rather go there in 1955 than now. How handy that you can.


Johnny Glendale said...

I had some of my most memorable times in San Francisco - many of which I've forgotten. A great place to spend time with a local; otherwise, another nice tourist stop.

RJ said...

In about 1960, my father went to a convention in San Francisco and took the whole family. I spent a week with a lot of free time to wander around the city. In that year, San Francisco was the most beautiful US city I had seen. It was pre-hippie, pre-panhandler, etc. There were no tall buildings then, and views of the bay were panoramic from any hillside residence. Makes its current condition even more painful to behold.

Dan D said...

I'm a country boy, not too taken with cities I have spent time in such as Boston, NYC, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Denver, and others. But I make an exception for San Francisco.

It is a stunning piece of geography, and remains magic despite the odd local variations in weather, insane leftist politics, evil homeless policies, drugs and despair. I'm sure those disfunctional attributes would make living there unattractive, but as a tourist stop, wow. No other city in the forty eight can compare.

Casey Klahn said...

SF is a powerful piece of ground. I was surprised to find out that San Jose is larger (population-wise, I guess).

My wife and I, before children, vacationed there. We were driving through the financial district, just by chance, and a stock crash had just happened (mid-90s). Suits were walking around in a stupor. maybe it's always that way, though. How would I know?

Thud said...

An easy day coupled with a hard walk always yields results in S.F.