Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pink Sippican Cottage Tank Tops Coming Soon. In The Meantime, Listen To Matt The Electrician

Picking through the debris of the last generation's kitsch was once my job. There's a fine line you have to straddle to poke fun and entertain at the same time. You have to have an affection for the object of your depredations. If you say you hate things while obsessing about them, there's something desperately wrong with you. It might make for page hits on a blog, but its damn poor entertainment.

My Heir is picking through the flotsam and jetsam of pop culture now. I find it interesting to see what attracts his attention. His friends play a setlist that looks like ancient oldies to them, but is 90 percent of a setlist of "current" stuff my friends and I used to play back in the day. I don't find that all that interesting. I beat it to death for money already. It's the other stuff that I find interesting. What would a teenager that isn't a dullard listen to? Why, Matt the Electrician, of course.

Once upon a time, there was a youg man named Matt Sever. He lived in Austin, TX, and he worked as a journeyman electrician. Every morning, when it was still dark outside, he would go to work, and wire houses all day long in the blistering Texas heat. When he would come home, again, it was dark outside. And then, sometimes, with no time to shower or change his clothes, he would go straight to the bars and nightclubs of Austin to play his songs for whomever would listen. And he would apologize for his appearance, and explain to the audience that he was an electrician, and he found a certain nobility in this, even if no one wanted to sit too close to the stage. So they called him Matt The Electrician, and he did not mind this, for he was proud of himself, for there is no shame in a hard days work.
But eventually, he quit his job as an electrician, to spend more time writing and playing songs, and the name stuck with him, because everyone needs an electrician sometimes. And there are some who say, that when the moon is full, and Jupiter is aligned with Mars, you can often hear Matt The Electrician in the distance, wiring a house, and whistling softly to himself.

Matt the Electrician


julie said...

I wanted to say that was awesome, but apparently "awesome" makes Vanderleun shake his head in grave disappointment, so I'll just say I quite enjoyed that, thanks!

Also, your kid has good taste in music (though of course that's no surprise).

SippicanCottage said...

Jolie Julie -

If Vanderleun gives you any trouble I'll rough him up. I subscribe to ITG magazine.

And believe me, the boy's taste in music is an enormous surprise to me.

Leslie said...

That was very entertaining. Thank you. I like your kids.

Jewel said...

Julie, just say you were listening to him in awesome wonder, G man shouldn't care one way or t'other.

Thud said...

Nice find, again thanks.

julie said...

Jewel - oh I know, I'm not actually worried about it. I was just being mischievous, and couldn't resist given the use of "awesome" in Matt the Electrician's tale.

leelu said...

Pink? Really??

SippicanCottage said...

leelu- It refers to a joke in the middle of the video.

Anonymous said...

I would buy a Sipp pink tank! bu then I am a girl.