Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

North By Northeast



I passed a million pageviews on my little Intertunnel hot dog stands last night. I'm not sure if I should consider that a lot, or a little. I decided a long time ago to generate almost all of my own content, and that actually limits your readership; most people just paste a hunk of text from a bad newspaper and say what's up with that ten times a day and get ten times the traffic. People buy more magazines than books for a reason.

I've written for larger hot dog stands, too, and had more readers than I've cadged on my own in a week, I imagine, but they weren't just mine so they don't count as much to me. A little thing, but mine own. I like all the people that congregate here with me in my version of an Intertunnel appendix.

If I have a regret, it's that I didn't make my father the most famous person with his name ever, at least as far as the Intertunnel is concerned, because I didn't include his name in the most widely read thing I ever wrote as far as I know. No matter. He taught me a long time ago that it's better to have people ask why there isn't a statue of you, than why there is.

16 comments:

Johnny Glendale said...

Congratulations on one million! With coffee mug in hand, you are the first person I "visit" each morning, just checking in before I start my day. Sometimes I'll poke my head in in the afternoon, just to see how you're doing.

Andy said...

By my calculations, I'll reach a million in about 7 more years. Welcome to the small time.

Your Father probably prefers it the way you've done it. He knows that the only thing famous about famous people anymore is their names - nobody looks very closely at a life these days. Nobody, that is, except family, and I wager yours has fame in spades.

Congrats (or condolences) on the million views, and bravo on the body of work.

Phil said...

You're a mere 987,000 (approx.) page views ahead of me...

julie said...

Re. the page views, yes, you appear to be roughly ten times more popular than me as well. Which is as it should be; if anything, it seems low. People just don't know what they're missing.

As to the old post about your father, I remember reading that. What a wonderful way to be remembered.

Leslie said...

For my part, I have been coming here since 2008, and have directed at least 5 others here too. I enjoy your work very much.

Casey Klahn said...

One more million, please.

Big Buff said...

My Grandfather hit the beaches in Normandy, he is still with us. Your words remind me to call him and thank him. Congratulations on a million. I too like other read your comments each day and its help me maintain center.

Thud said...

The post on your father was what got me to stick around here and it still does the trick.

John Lien said...

Thanks for providing us the appendix. Hope not too many of us pips collect in here and you burst.

arcs said...

You know how your sinuses will clog when the tears don't quite make it out of the corners of your eyes?

I read again the story of your father and the airshow.

Here's to another million.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from Australia. I drop by every day for a look, keep up the good work. Loved the story about your Dad.

Mick

BigFred said...

I cry big old man tears every time i read this. It ranks with the Irish throwing nails instead of darts for an order of merit. Well Done.

SippicanCottage said...

Hello everyone. I love you more than my folks.

Sam L. said...

I'm a B-17 guy myself, but the 24 was a heckuva plane, and the men who flew in either were very brave men, to whom we ow a lot.

xoxoxoBruce said...

Why wouldn’t you reach a million, this is the only site that makes me laugh, cry, or want to shake you violently, sometimes all at the same time. ;o)

You’re dad is typical of the many vets I’ve know from that era. They faced incredible danger and did heroic things, but coming home adopted the attitude, that’s history let’s move on.
There was a plumber working with my Dad, who had been in the 82nd Airborne with him. Every time that guy started telling war stories, I could see all the other vets getting uncomfortable and start moving away.

H. Gillham said...

*holds up lighter*

Congratulations.