Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pardon Me While I Subreference Sub-Subculture Again



I don't consider myself a controversialist. I'm not trolling for a fight for page views. Many people have written me to tell me they like visiting my page because it's not as angry as the Intertunnel often is. Glad to hear it.

People send me things all the time, for this blog and my other blogs, or simply because they want to share something with their Intertunnel friends. It makes my life more interesting.

You learn about all sorts of subcultures and memes and movements and pockets of resistance and shrines and cachement areas if you browse the Intertunnel as I do, but all people, me included of course, have a tendency to drift into: This is how I go when I go like this. I like getting stuff from all over from all kinds of people because it gets me out of my stale OODA loop and into an Immelman turn.

If it wasn't for reader Charles Schneider, how would I know that there's a little cottage industry on YouTube of pasting oddly chosen musical selections over a clip of Laurel and Hardy dancing? There's dozens of them, all charming in their own way.







Kids today make their own fun out of the crap they find lying around, same as it always was. The crap changes a bit, that's all.

6 comments:

julie said...

Oh, that is splendid!

Sixty Grit said...

Who knew? Thanks for posting that - the Tainted Love one was funny.

Johnny Glendale said...

"Kids today make their own fun out of the crap they find lying around, same as it always was. The crap changes a bit, that's all."

The most insightful thing I've read in months! You're right, it's all refrigerator boxes and paper towel tubes - and we're all pirates! Wheee!

Casey Klahn said...

I'm happy to say I am one who didn't need the linkage to "get" the Boyd reference, nor the WW I reference. The way you juxtapose them is brilliant.

Just don't start placing little wooden wedges on your prop blades, and your journey will prosper.

Golden West said...

Growing up during the Depression, my dad and his pals used to smoke spider webs in corn cob pipes and have epic rubber band gun fights that lasted hours. This was when they weren't skiing down the beach cliffs on the metal bands they'd removed from kegs and tied onto their shoes. He's in his 80s now and delights in telling the stories as much as we love hearing them.

Eric said...

People have so much free time these days...