Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Unlike George Harrison, The Spiders' Guitarist Can Actually Play A Little. Other Than That, It's A Tie For Best Performance Of Day Tripper



When I was younger and lived in LA, there were always ads in the indie papers looking for bands that would be willing to go and work in Japan. It really didn't matter if you were any good, if you were willing to go, and could play rock music, they'd take you. It was considered a last resort, and paid that way, too.

This is the legacy of sending only desperate --and desperately bad -- rock bands to Japan.

8 comments:

Gagdad Bob said...

Reminds me a little of how one critic described the group Chicago: "like a high school marching band wigged out on pot."

SippicanCottage said...

Now that's a review.

Gagdad Bob said...

Although I must admit, I like their first album, especially Beginnings.

Sad that a group can have a 40 year career, but their best song is on side one of their first album.

I guess with the Moody Blues it was side 2.

Gagdad Bob said...

Come to think of it, Chicago was never the same after Terry Kath lost that game of Russian roulette... He was the gonads of the group.

H. Gillham said...

Oh, I liked Chicago, but I can't play a kazoo.

:(

Jewel said...

You haven't heard Bad Beatles Imitations, Sippican, until you've heard Wing do Bad Beatles very Badly: http://www.wingmusic.co.nz/player/cd8.html

Jewel said...

And there's a wide variety of awfulness to be had, Sip. The range of hideous is astounding:

http://www.wingmusic.co.nz/listen.html

Say what you want about Celine Dion. She can't hold a candle to Wing's awful badness when it comes to awful badness.

SippicanCottage said...

Jewel: Dear lord.

I'm blissfully unaware of anything to do with South Park, so I'd never heard of that.

I visited Wing's website, and poked around. I wonder what it's like to be a camp hit when you likely offered your -ahem- talents up unironically. She should do duets with the Chocolate Rain guy.

Thanks for reading and commenting.