Pages

Sunday, April 04, 2010

You Didn't Have To Love Me Like You Did, But You Did



Man oh man, a lot of people have been nice to me and my family this last week. We're moving to Rumford Maine, and the old saw about moving is really true: A good friend will help you move; a great friend will help you move a body. Well, I had dozens of friends, relatives and neighbors helping me empty all the shallow graves one accumulates when you live in one place for a long time, and I'm profoundly grateful to everybody.

My new neighbors are extraordinarily thoughtful and generous and kind and convivial. Some have ugly dogs and beautiful souls -- a common combination. Another is some sort of wild-eyed writer dude, and it appears he's educated at it, although it doesn't seem to have hurt him none. Like all decent people, I am always deeply suspicious of persons that understand the Harvard comma, but he exhibits his cap and gown behavior only when cornered, and talks dress-casual the other 364 days of the year, which is a help to me.

The magnificent Mr. and Mrs. Bird Dog sent us a jolly spray of spring posies, the first thing ever delivered to our house. He's another sort of fellow that understands the Harvard comma but won't let on that he does. Bird Dog's wife is a great beauty and I'm sure he has trouble demonstrating the requisite feats of strength to impress her enough to keep him around, and I hope he continues, as the flower selection will no doubt suffer if she's not involved.

Marvelous polyglot lot around here amongst the tall stands of Yankees. Ebeneezer from Ghana and I talked furniture over the barbeque yesterday. Speaking of feats of strength, our teenaged neighbors Yago from Spain and Luiz from Brazil helped shlep our stuff inside. I have a corroded soul and didn't mention the cast iron everything a woodworker favors until the truck door opened. We told them they could play X-Box with the large heir when we were done, and having unblemished souls, they don't know a carny's come-on when they hear it.

I'll spend time in hell someday for that one, which is fine with me -- as it's a hell of a lot warmer than Rumford, Maine.

5 comments:

Anwyn said...

WOW! Amazing. Congratulations on the move and hope you make everything to your liking in Maine. Happy Easter!

Golden West said...

All best wishes to you and your family in your new home!

teresa said...

Welcome to the State O' Maine. We like it here, and hope you will too.

We're way north of you in Aroostook County.

Hmmm...I could save a ton on shipping that fine furniture you build, the mister goes right by there every two weeks or so.

SippicanCottage said...

Thanks, everyone.

Hi Teresa- Are you the person that shows up in my statistics from the town of Wytopitlock? I get such a charge out of that name.

Everyone has been really nice to us in Maine, and we like it here.

I offer a big, fat, discount on all sales to Wytopitlock, I just decided. Seems neighborly.

teresa said...

Wytopitlok?
Nah, too far south, not enough snow for us. We're just a few miles north of Canada!

I'm serious about the furniture, though. I've been looking at your work for awhile now, and I've about got him talked into buying me some. If he'd quit buying dinghies and lifevests for the dog.