Pages

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Noble Man Of The Cross



-If one considered life as a simple loan, one would perhaps be less exacting. We possess actually nothing; everything goes through us.

-We work not only to produce but to give value to time.

-Do all the work you can; that is the whole philosophy of the good way of life.

-What moves those of genius, what inspires their work is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough.

-I live in company with a body, a silent companion, exacting and eternal.

-Talent does whatever it wants to do. Genius does only what it can.

4 comments:

Everyman said...

I'm curious about that last line. Should it not be: Genius does what only it can? Move two words and it makes a world of difference, from implied sloth - hard to imagine that was the intention, given the context - to the unique talents of genius.

Andy said...

I don't know. I think it is as it was intended. Talent is not discerning. It is wild and capricious, and as a consequence can be wasteful. Genius knows the right task and the right pace. Its applications are measured, if not always careful, and it is bound by its understanding to not be needlessly indulgent.

IrishCicero said...

A lovely piece of writing. I linked you at my blog. Thank you.

http://washingtonrebel.typepad.com/washington_rebel/2010/02/making-gold.html

Rob De Witt said...

I'm pretty sure I come down on the side of the original wording (and won't I be blushful if it turns out to be inverted?)

"Genius does only what it can" - and what it can, and what it can, nunc et ad eternum. The genius lies in recognizing that life is not an event, but a process.