Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sippican Cottages And Bungalows

Sippican Cottage Furniture is featured twice in the August/September issue of Cottages and Bungalows. Neato.

I always appreciate the attention. I'm a small business in a ferocious fiscal climate and need to cadge attention where I can get it.

They always send you a complimentary copy. Most everybody in the magazine and television world have been very professional and thoughtful, in my experience. When I was featured on NECN they even sent me a disc with the appearance on it.

I've never paid to be featured in magazines or other media. I've received some rather creepy overtures in this regard. Some of the surreptitious pay to play arrangements in the big shelter mags, and especially TV, seem like borderline fraud to me. We'll pretend to like you if pay us. Most of the home improvement shows now have the smell of: "Hey mister, do you want to buy speakers out of the back of my van?" A long time ago, I was hired to testify as an expert witness in a lawsuit against the host of a major home improvement show that was taking kickbacks. It does happen.

I hadn't seen Cottages and Bungalows until my furniture was featured in it. It's a really good magazine. There's something interesting on every page. My wife likes it even better than I do. Many houses are too fussy and sterile for my taste, and I think for the occupant's taste, too, though they don't always realize it. We are a casual society. It's unlikely you'll be happy living in an operating room.

You can buy a copy at many newsstands or Target, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Barnes and Noble, or Borders. Or you can buy a single copy or a subscription here. I know I will. And if anybody buys anything much, I wouldn't mind advertising there, too. See? They are good businesspeople over there at Cottages and Bungalows, even though they're honest.

PS: They have a forum, too.

10 comments:

Andy said...

Featured twice, eh? From the subtle to the steamroll, just like that. I am beginning to doubt your decency, sir.

Gagdad Bob said...

Wow, I never knew there was such a thing as forensic carpentry! Not since Jesus anyway.

Sounds like a great idea for a primetime drama...

misterarthur said...

Congratulations. Twice is good.

Deborah said...

How splendid! Congratulations---I will look for the magazine this weekend.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

A forum?

Dear Cottages and Bungalows:
I never thought I'd be writing to your magazine....

David St Lawrence said...

Congratulations!

May you have to expand your workshop soon!

Golden West said...

Advertising is good - free advertising is better! Delighted to hear you are getting such great exposure.

Janet said...

Doubly cool. I hope you can ride out the rest of the recession in one piece.

Thud said...

I think B and N in England stocks American mags so I'll take a look.

Anonymous said...

It's so great Cottage & Bungalow exists and is still publishing. A lot of us went into terminal depression when Cottage Living abruptly stopped publishing because of the Great Recession; at least we still have Cottage & Bungalow.