Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

If I Had A Million Dollars, I'd Buy You A Monkey And This Record Collection

When I was younger I had to learn Oldie but Goodie songs for bands I was in. No Intertunnel. I found a hole-in-the wall store that loaded 45s into jukeboxes. They'd sell to the public, but in the most desultory fashion. If you found them out behind the Chinese Restaurant and the SCUBA place and were willing to look through all the boxes and brought a little money, you could buy the stuff. I still have some of them, and several hundred lps, too. This is so much cooler than that, which was pretty damn cool already.


Estate Liquidation

2 comments:

Henry said...

Very cool.

Back in 1990, when my wife had been accepted at graduate school several hours from where we lived, we took advantage of an offer by a friend of a friend to stay overnight at house he owned while we looked around our new town for an apartment.

It was a rambling 19th century home with an add-on wing, a back staircase, built-in cabinetry, and a general illogic to the floor plan.

The friend of the friend had recently inherited the house and was planning to convert it to condos.

The previous owner was a dentist and music lover. Nothing had yet been changed. Everything was as it had been.

The music room was a large study about 20 by 30 feet. But for two doors and two windows the entire room was lined with shelves. There must have been 6 or 8 shelves floor to ceiling.

Except for the hi-fi and speakers in the center of the long wall, every shelf from left to right, help LPs.

I've occasionally wondered about that collection and what could have possibly come of it.

teresa said...

Wow. The person who did that video did a really great job of presentation. It made me want to buy the collection, and while I am a music lover, the thought of searching through all that dust and old paper makes me wheeze like a calliope.
But, there's something about the look of all those records arranged like they were. All those colored circles - they are very appealing. Crazy.