Thursday, August 28, 2008


People think their heart is broken only when something bad happens. Not enough reading of the ancient Greeks, anymore, I guess.

It's all in the thinking. You're sad now and again. You think it's not normal to be sad. You ask the doctor or the bartender or the politician to make you whole. They cure nothing. Feeling happy isn't being happy. Ballroom dancing on the Titanic helps pass the time, but that's about it. Better to check your rivets and your course than go to Arthur Murray.

To be heartbroken is to be separated from the scene of your happiness. Happiness is a situation, not a condition. The situation must be assembled from the tatty bits of this world over and over. It is the cook, not the philosopher, that we must look to. One must not starve to death waiting for the food.

One of the ingredients is now missing in the mornings. The first course disappears all day, already. The cooking is more difficult with the larder bare. I was happy, of course, the whole time my heart was breaking.


Patsy said...

On the first day my daughter, my youngest, rode the school bus, I stood on the sidewalk feeling the same emotions. As she skipped toward the bus and I stood staring after her, a jogger ran by. When he passed me, he said 'let her go, mom, let her go.'
And my heart answered 'never'.
She's 32 now, and when she leaves after a visit, we follow the same ritual we started that day--waving until we can no longer see each other. I still feel the same ache when she's gone.

John said...

My daughters are 9 and 7. I leave early in the morning (5:30 am) to commute to work. I stop in their bedrooms every morning to kiss them before leaving, knowing I will not see them until 7:30 that night. It breaks my heart every day. Every day.

bearing said...


blake said...

And people wonder why some home-school.

Lovely post.