Wednesday, April 16, 2008

There Are Rules

There are rules.

These rules are not written in any one place. Right next to essential rules are nonsense. You must parse them.

The rules allow for almost limitless innovation. But if your worldview is based on limitless innovation by ignoring the rules, you'll fail every time. And be derivative.

There are never any new rules. Just rules you don't know yet. The same people on the divan were once in the cave.

You will never be happy if you break the rules. It's likely you will not realize why you are unhappy, and will blame the rules you ignored for your troubles.

You will refer to things by their polar opposite, and be unhappy, and never know it.

A miss is as good as a mile with the rules. A little wrong might be the worst kind.

A person warning you that you are at war with nature is wasting their time if they are right. You will lose in a hurry. If you do not lose in a hurry, the person warning you is wrong.

A willing but uneducated person has a better shot at it than an intellectual, because an intellectual is only interested in ideas, and so reality is superfluous to them. Anything can make sense on a piece of paper.

You want to walk down that path, and smell those blooms, and scale those little steps, and sit on the porch with the people that live in that picture. And maybe you don't know why.

I do, a little.


Gerard said...

I had a house like that in Connecticut once, and yes I'd still like to walk down the path and talk to the people that live there. But I know I can't. And I do know why.

AJ Lynch said...

Say that again but slower this time.

Anonymous said...

You want to share whatever you've been smokin'?

Gerard said...


SippicanCottage said...


Janet said...

Is there something wrong with me? I understood exactly what you were talking about. Or at least I thought I did...

It sounded to me like much of Proverbs and Isaiah.

SippicanCottage said...

Is there something wrong with me?

Just the opposite, I imagine.