Pages

Friday, August 03, 2007

Z Z Marriage


Circumstances used to demand the Z Z marriage from everybody. You couldn't run around assembling and disassembling your affairs all over the landscape over and over. You placed your bets and you took your chances and you stuck with it. Sometimes the chances were pretty slim. You always stayed until closing even if your chips were gone in the first five minutes.

I've got a Z Z marriage. It is not required any more. No one would much bat an eye socially or otherwise if we parted. There is no disapprobation, even on purely practical grounds, to keep us together.

I do not understand my wife, and have no desire to. I am not a vivisectionist of her personality. The patient always dies in that situation, after all. I am not explaining my situation here; I am simply observing it. I can tell you that I have an enormously defective personality, and she don't care. I don't know why that is, either.

Poor people, dumb people, sick people, interesting or dull people, all sorts of people, no matter how straitened their circumstances, no matter how hard hammered by life they were, got a chance to do something sublime in their life. For many, it is the only really transcendent thing they will ever be allowed to attempt; opportunities to win a Congressional Medal of Honor or a Pulitzer Prize or something aren't just laying around, never mind the actual article.

I've had an interesting life so far, I guess. It's not over yet. I could tell you wild tales, many of them true. Nothing compares to my Z Z marriage. And it's made all the more piquant by the fact that no one is making us do it.

6 comments:

PatHMV said...

Love me not for comely grace,
or my pleasing eye or face;
Nor for any outward part,
No, nor for a constant heart:
For these may fail or turn to ill,
So thou and I shall sever.

Keep, therefore, a true woman's eye,
And love me still, but know not why;
So hast thou the same reason still
To dote upon me ever.

Anonymous said...

"I've had an interesting life so far, I guess. It's not over yet. I could tell you wild tales, many of them true. Nothing compares to my Z Z marriage. And it's made all the more piquant by the fact that no one is making us do it."

So true. God bless the woman who has stayed with me for 36 years. Not sure why she did, but bless her.

jdkelly

bob said...

In a ZZ marriage, do both of you wear long beards and sway rhymically?

SippicanCottage said...

That was nice, Pat. I don't recognize it. I assume it's not Maya Angelou, as there are no dinosaur turds mentioned. John Donne? Odd gravestone in Baton Rouge?

jd- I'd be in jail if I had 36 years with my wife, and likely a gunshot wound, but I'll keep plugging away.

Hi Bob- No beards. Plenty of rhythmic swaying.

PatHMV said...

It's Anonymous, sometime around 1609.

SippicanCottage said...

I've always been a great admirer of Anonymous. He wrote almost as much good stuff as Apocryphal. They both sound Greek, but they wrote in English a lot, so they must have been wicked smaht.