Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Googlewhack Is Amused

I'm stupid busy today. It's good busy though, so no complaints.

I have some experience in the music business. I can assure you that it's counterproductive to try to understand what attracts the majority of people to any given piece of music. It just doesn't lend itself to analysis much. It's like a kind of vivisection to try to pull something as ephemeral as pop music apart. The poking around in there always kills it.

My older brother once told me that everybody has one song in them. It's one of the reasons everybody thinks they should be on-stage in an arena - they do indeed have the goods necessary; for 2 minutes 30 seconds, anyway. After that, it gets sketchy.

Anyway, it's hard to describe the kind of frenzy playing a cover of this song used to elicit in a college age person at one time. Not very many of them had any idea what the lyrics were, really, but that's common. This guy that wrote it made the ultimate good career move in surly rock: he killed himself. It lends a certain cachet to your ramblings and mumblings in the world of "everything sucks and I'm here to sing about it."

But he had one song in him, that is for certain. It even works in this format. Enjoy.


Icepick said...

It would be better in that format if Tiny Tim was singing.

Walrus said...

How on earth do you FIND these things?

I never dreamed of playing such things when I had a ukelele. Of course, that was years before Nirvana.

SippicanCottage said...

What couldn't be improved by the addition of Tiny Tim?