Monday, March 20, 2006

Joy in Mudville

Greetings, all.

I don't follow baseball closely; never have. I seem to write about it a lot, though. I'm not sure what that means, exactly. I never played organized baseball, but I played most every summer day with my neighborhood friends when I was a child. It was funner, somehow, than the "all children as an organized minor league for professionals" vibe I get from my children's baseball league. They don't send home do-it-yourself steroid kits for the grade schoolers yet, and for that I am grateful. And so our older boy participates, as will his brother in his turn. I trust he'll get what he can from it, be it fun or something as simple as learning to show up somewhere and cooperate with strangers.

I spent the afternoon on Saturday inside a gym watching him try out for the teams with his brethren, and it never occurred to me to bring a newspaper; I might have brought one to pass the time to a professional ballgame, but not to a series of drills performed by rail thin grade schoolers with jack-o-lantern smiles. As the cowboy narrator in "The Big Lebowski" says, it was just "so durn innerestin'."

I wrote about his adventures last year; perhaps you'd be interested in them this year too:

Joy in Mudville


David53 said...

My son, Michael, played organized baseball from the time he could lift a bat. He wasn't a star player, but he played in every game because he was so coachable, all the coaches enjoyed a kid who would actually listen to them. I really liked watching him play, that "parent living vicariously through the son" thing.
When Michael entered high school he discovered acting. It was as if he said, "Acting, that's my thing, forget baseball!" He hasn't picked up a bat since but has turned out to be a very good actor. He won numerous awards in high school and even got a scholarship to college where he recently starred in "Tartuffe." I had to look it up as I was totally clueless as to what that was about. Everybody says, "Oh, your son is such a wonderful actor!" I look at the stage and just see Michael. Don't get me wrong, I support him 100%, I just don't understand him. Neither his mother nor I did any type of acting at all, we were both jocks. He has found his passion and for that I am thankful, I just miss the excitement of the game. Enjoy your son's baseball while you can.

SippicanCottage said...

Hi David- Thanks for writing.

I watch my son play in his school band. It's different, as you say, than watching him play sports.

Perhaps sports are a sort of pantomime of heroism, while the arts are a sort of run at the sublime, if you will. They represent the two engines of the human condition.

Your son must be good at it to get a scholarship to do it. It's as rare an ability to do it well as getting around on a 90 mph curveball.